Sunday, February 27, 2005

fingers crossed

A-

All is quite on this western front at the moment. Tommorow I get an answere to that which I have been waiting on for the last four weeks. Full account to be broadcast in comming days.

not much new other than this at the moment.

The start of the baseball season is nearing again- A happy thought. Things im looking forward to this year: Clement, and Miller (not the guy at first base). Schilling and Wells (this is taking a little getting used to) are knowns and I would think each will get the better of sixteen to eighteen wins (not to much to complain about there). But the other two new starters are promising provided they can each overcome their perspective 'ifs". Miller's being a pretty bad injury, Clement a unknown which everything seems to indicate he could be ready for something big- runsupport will no doubt work in his favour. At the plate and around the field I think were great, if not better than last year.

Finished Bell Hook's "Where we Stand: Class Matters". Although overall I think this is a very important book that highlights a huge issue in our society and I agree wholeheartedly with her main thesis: America is not a classless society and that wounds of class run deep- after shes done I cant help thinking class in america in terms of dante's hell -a new ring for a different each full the multitude of class and racial combinations. I would feel more sure about where we stand if perhaps the author had added more in terms of hard data; as is she makes use of her own authority and intellectually prowress (considerable in both cases), I dont think it enough at times. While I (a progressive_ intelletually inclined _ white currently living in a prodominatly African American neighboorhood-a figure that does not escape hook's gaze) can read this book and understand that her critism are based in truth. I can only imagin that it would sound like the ravings of a lunatic liberal to someone who was not familiar with radical social theory. Perhaps the point is moot though. Overall it is the first book on class in American Society (the other are normally European or Latin America based) as such I found it usefull to my own experiences in life.

anyway-
more soon
z

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home