The Graduate
A-
The strange thing about California is this that I sometimes feel like I'm in a scene from The Graduate, minus all sex. Cocktail parties in single level 60's style houses while the kids play in the pool out back and the adults ask me what my plans for life are. Today I started to have drinks right along with them- aside from one or two out burst about the Red Sox and Lost in Translation I think things went well. If not, oh well.... Considering I did hold my tongue during the "ebonics conversation" and few other random remarks here and there about those perplexing Mexicans- I think I'm doing really well.
Monday I have to go to a Memorial day event at a cemetery for the Post with CG. He called my at 9:30 tonight to talk about this- perhaps we're making progress. I still don't know if I'm getting paid for any of this or what. I think I need to have that talk with him soon.
Today I went to a used bike store in Berkeley to get a Bike for myself- walking is fine and all but a bike would really help things along here. The store was closed so I bought myself some cheap sun glass instead, my family teases me about not having a pair, "the sun is just brighter here" they say. In all fairness to them I was getting headaches when I was out side too long- who knows. Even though their cheap sun glasses, they look pretty good on me (insert ZZ Top song here).
In Sports perspective: today's game was very exciting, I wish I had paid to watch it on TV- though I've really started to get use to the free play by play service that MBL.com has for ever game. Its games like this that make me nervous though- we need to start getting folks back from the DL now. It maybe early, but it wont always be.
In Literature today: I finished reading the Invention of Solitude and will send it to you soon. The book is split in two parts 1) Notes on an Invisible Man, about Auster's father 2) The Book of Memory, riffs on many of Auster's own experiences (many of which you will recognize from reading Leviathan) but the main point is that the writer needs solitude (either real or imagined) in order to create something- the process of creation is the process of remembering which needs solitude (the something from nothing)- this is at least how I've chosen to read it, which given my own experiences right now should be suspect. Either way, this last part of the book has helped me through to some other possibilities I hadn't considered. Anyway perhaps you'll see what I mean soon enough, I'll send you my copy in a few days.
and so to bed,
hope all is well,
z

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home